Is there a cost to the cadet?

The program is tuition free Optional purchases such as class rings, senior portrait photographs, and cap & gown photographs are available.

What ages do you accept?

Applicants must be between 16 and 18 years of age on the start date.

What is the tobacco policy?

Cadets may not bring, use, or purchase any tobacco products for the duration of the residential phase of the ChalleNGe experience.

When can I visit my cadet?

There is no formal visitation policy. You may visit your cadet on family day which is about thirteen weeks into the program.

What is the standard for hair?

MALE: Military short hair cut.

FEMALE: Off collar of uniform or pulled back from face in pony tail or braid.

What is the standard for female make-up?

Conservative make-up when make-up is appropriate, i.e., class photographs.

Do I have to have insurance during the 5 month period?


Will I be able to go to church?

Yes. Nondenominational Chapel services are held on Thursday evenings and Sunday mornings. Attendance is voluntary.

What is the leave policy?

Emergency only. Two weekend passes are scheduled during each cycle. They must be EARNED by exemplary behavior and participation.

What type uniforms will we wear?

BDU pants, Golf shirts and T-shirts.

Is this 22 week residential program voluntary?


What time do I have to get up/go to bed?

5:45 a.m. ; 9:45 p.m.

Will I be allowed to make phone calls?

Only during off duty hours, according to a published schedule.

Do I have to join the military?

No. But recruiters will come and talk to interested parties.

What happens if I do not finish the course?

All students will get at least three chances to pass the GED while attending the Youth ChalleNGe Program. Those that do not make a satisfactory score are encouraged to enroll in a GED Center in their home town when they return.

What happens after I finish the course?

Job or further education, with help from recruiters and mentors.

Will I have to run/jog?

YES. The President’s Physical Fitness Program will be followed.

What if I am pregnant?

You may attend with the written consent of your physician. This consent letter needs to include special accommodations required for your stay.

Will I be allowed to attend if I have children?

Yes, but care of children during school attendance (5-month residential) will be student responsibility. May contact WFIA (Work Force Investment Act) formerly known as JTPA (Job Training Partnership Act) for further child care assistance.

Can I bring my car/motorcycle/bicycle?


Can I bring a guitar, instrument?

Yes acoustic guitars only, after 1st Pass, but it will be locked up during school hours.

What if I am taking medication?

Medication will be given to the Nurse to administer one day supply each day. Bring adequate supply.

Drug testing and inspections?

Yes, there will be drug testing and inspections.